a Therapist/Coach; Trainer and Author with over 20 years’ experience doing therapy
and holding training courses. In 2002 I set up the Sussex Hypnotherapy Centre. I have written over ten books on brief therapy
and related topics. I have trained in a variety of parenting and family courses
including 'On Track' (two versions - one for parents of primary school age children, one for parents of secondary school age), 'Escape and Parallel Lines' (a course for parent and teen to both attend), Strengthening Families
Programme (10-14)' (a course for parent and 10-14 year old to both attend) and 'Break 4 Change' (I also co-wrote the West Sussex version
of the programme) (a course for parent and teen to both attend). I have a passion for learning, so I am continually studying and
During my career I have carried out research into what is most effective in the prevention and de-escalation of violence and aggression in youth within a residential setting, childhood memory recall – exploring what types of memories people recall when thinking back about ‘happy childhood memories’ (in conjunction with Brighton-based neurological research company ‘The Mind Lab’), the effectiveness of relaxation music at reducing levels of anxiety and anger and maintaining emotional stability in participants during group work with anxious, depressed and angry adults, the effectiveness of a Human Givens Approach to Parenting Support to reduce and prevent youth crime and anti-social behaviour.
- Written over ten books (almost 100,000 copies sold), created over 400 self-help mp3 and video downloads and training products (over 500,000 mp3’s and videos downloaded, YouTube videos viewed over 1.5 million times)
- Mentioned in New Scientist, BBC Focus magazines, At Home With Gok Wan, online and interviewed for websites, local and national radio stations and newspapers and International Media and written an article for the Human Givens Journal and a chapter on Solution Focused Therapy for the third edition of Ursula James ‘Clinical Hypnosis Textbook’ and I have contributed to various books including ‘The Brain Sell’ by Dr David Lewis, ‘Fat Planet’ by Dr David Lewis and Dr Margaret Leitch, and ‘Think Smart, Act Smart’ by Dr David Lewis and Darren Bridger
- Worked on a television programme called ‘The Anatomy of Fear’ and a research project into childhood memories with The Mind Lab
- Assisted setting up a therapeutic children’s home – designed, created and ran many of their staff training courses, log books and forms, and wrote many of their policies and procedures, and cross-referenced these with the Children’s Act and the National Minimum Care Standards for Children’s Homes.
- Developed and run training courses including a year-long diploma in Ericksonian Hypnotherapy, Humanistic Solution Focused Psychotherapy and Ideo-Dynamic Healing which is accredited by the General Hypnotherapy Standards Council, and meets the National Occupational Standards for Hypnotherapy training, and meets the requirements for the Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council.
- Managed teams of staff within catering, children's homes, and family support services.
- Trained staff within children's homes and family support services, specialising in teaching solution focused approach, motivational interviewing, breakaway techniques, conflict resolution, safety awareness, parenting skills, and stress management.
- Clinical supervisor for family support staff.
- Offer coaching and training around self publishing, parenting, wellbeing
Qualifications and Professional Memberships
- Member of the General Hypnotherapy Register holding the General Qualification in Hypnotherapy Practice, also a registered trainer
- Level 3 Development Programme in First Line Management (Legacy L and D Limited)
- Essential Supervision Skills (BPS Approved Certificate in Clinical Supervision) (SDS Seminars Ltd)
- Strengthening Families Programme (10-14) Instructors Certificate (Oxford Brookes University)
- Diploma in Indirect Hypnosis, Ericksonian Psychotherapy and Neuro Linguistic Programming Practitioner (British Hypnosis Research, Roehampton University)
- Diploma in Solution Focused Hypnotherapy and Psychotherapy (Uncommon Knowledge, Brighton University)
- Diploma in Neuro Linguistic Programming (Evolution Training)
- Care and Control, Behaviour Management Instructors Certificate(TEAM TEACH) (Miller’s Homes for Children)
- NVQ Level 3 in Health And Social Care Modern Apprenticeship (Sussex Enterprise)
- + dozens of other qualifications, certificated and un-certificated many workplace arranged training courses or personal distance-learning diplomas.
of Recent Experience
I have been working with parents and families in their own homes since 2007. This has involved working with the parents alone and joint working with other agencies (social services, family link workers, health visitors, schools, etc). I have supported other teams with education on working with a solution focused approach and motivational interviewing, engaging resistant families and working with parents. I have supported Family Resource Team (FRT) training and Family Link Worker (FLW) training as well as Youth Offending Service (YOS) training and Family Intervention Project (FIP)/Think Family (Troubled Families) training, and supported the training of new staff to various teams including FRT, FLW, and social workers. I have presented to trainee senior social workers at Chichester University on engaging resistant families and using a solution focused approach and how to measure success, as well as frequently having my one to one sessions observed by new staff to various teams (like FLW, FRT, and new social workers).
I also have done clinical supervision with family support staff, and hypnotherapists. I have written numerous books, and created many online training courses, and taught live training courses as well as doing one-to-one and group coaching around self-publishing, parenting, wellbeing, and within work around using solution focused coaching for developing ideas and finding solutions to problems.